Translate

Monday 13 March 2017

"marble" and "concrete" placemats




While wandering the halls of my local Dollarama I came upon these fine items.
So far I have found four different place mats, that I am sure will work as flooring of some sort.

Marble version 1
Marble version 2



Rocky surface
Concrete/linoleum
 
Each place mat is 30 x45 cm (11 3/4" x 17 3/4"). They are fairly low sheen, the rocky one in particular is very flat, almost no light reflection. The rocky one also has a slight textured surface, that really looks like a rocky shelf.
They are plastic, maybe a millimeter thick, very easy to cut and so far take paint well.  I am testing out the 'concrete' one as sidewalks, but may also paint up the rocky one, dry brush it a bit to bring out the texture and go with it instead.
The marble will look great in buildings, as floors or walls. I have also found self sticking shelf liner, that looks like marble and that is what I used in my banquet hall game. Either method works well.
More pics below.

Pics in use

concrete
concrete



rocky
rocky



Marble 1
Marble 1





Marble 2
Marble 2


Concrete/linoleum
Concrete/linoleum


Rocky
Rocky




2 comments:

  1. Nice find! Further to your discovery, I found some of all but one of the marbles.

    Because it's unlikely that stone would be laid such that the grain crosses from one block to the next, I may slice some up into multiple blocks and then try gluing them down. Of course, continuous grain would be very likely in a solid block, e.g. a polished stone floor in a cliffside temple, or some mysterious structure.

    Have you tried gluing the plastic? Do you think that it might be PVC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genius! Looks great

    ReplyDelete